3D Secure provides an additional layer of security during the purchasing process that asks customers to enter a pin number. 3D Secure has dramatically cut payment card fraud.
3D Secure is an optional service which you can bolt onto your payment gateway to help prevent fraudulent orders. Although 3D Secure presents an extra step to your customers, we still recommend 3D Secure to prevent any loss of earnings.
With each fraudulent order comes hidden costs:
- Time dealing with the Police
- Loss of products
- Administration time and costs
Fraud and liability
If 3D Secure is present, liability for a fraudulent transaction is with the issuing payment card company, which means you can claim back your losses. In the absence of 3D Secure liability remains with the store owner, which means you will incur these losses unless your insurance policy pays out.
How 3D Secure works
- Your customer enters their payment card details into your checkout page as normal
- A secure window from your bank will appear if a customer is paying with Visa, Mastercard or JCB. This window will ask a user to enter their password
- Upon successful entry of the customer's password the order is confirmed and processed by the website
This image shows an example of 3D Secure with Natwest in action.
We've seen from first hand experience the dramatic reduction in fraudulent and attempted fraudulent transactions on our ecommerce websites with the introduction of 3D Secure. Without the PIN number there is simply no way of placing an order with a Visa, Mastercard or JCB card.
What about other card types?
3D Secure only protects Visa, Mastercard and JCB payment cards, other card types such as Maestro, Solo and Switch are still prone to fraudulent and attempted fraudulent transactions, so retailers still need to be on the lookout for these. Payment gateway systems fraud score transactions to help you, and our support service enables you to contact us for advice on suspected fraudulent transactions.
Find out more about 3D Secure
To find out more about 3D Secure or to see if 3D Secure is right for you feel free to read the following articles:
- 3D Secure with Visa: Verified by Visa
- 3D Secure with Mastercard: Mastercard Securecode
- 3D Secure with JCB: J/Secure
Get in touch
To talk to us about 3D Secure, or to arrange a consultation please complete the form on the top right, or call us on 01903 779056.